Friday 17 June 2011

Interview with...


Hello, and welcome to my first Interview with... blogpost!
My first interviewee makes gorgeous jewellery using glass flowers, beads and lockets to create designs that are wearable, feminine and affordable.
Please read on for the full Interview with...
Bina from Jewellery by Bina!!!
Q1: What made you get into jewellery making?
In 2002 I had to leave work due to M.E and Rheumatoid. Needing to rest most of the time was quite boring and whilst I was pouring through some craft magazines I noticed several bead shops advertised and decided to give it a go. Various people visited me through this difficult time and noticed the jewellery I was making. I was asked if I was selling it and was asked to make a custom piece. For a few years I sold as theraputic work. Children came along, I started feeling better so I decided to take it on full time - well school hours anyway!
Q2: All your jewellery is lovely, but what inspires your designs?
You can probably tell I like flowers :) Inspiration hits me at different times. Out on a walk in the woods, the colour combinations of the flowers, trees. Sometimes if I see an item of clothing the colours will pop out. Other times an item will come together whilst in the making and it totally works. Often I can match a piece of jewellery to a tv programme.
Q3: What would your dream job be?
I think I am already doing my dream job. The hours are great and flexible allowing me to stay at home and work around the time schedules of the family and children. This is a real bonus as my 5yr old son has autism and has many many appointments and it works well around his special school schedule. I love working with beads and creating new pieces. It gives me great satisfaction when an item looks great and photographs well too :)
Q4: Have you always had a creative personality?
I have never been an academic, but looking back at my school reports craft is always highlighted as a strength over everything else. As a child I loved doing crafts and entered craft competitions. I've also done card making - which were sold in many book stores. As a hobby I like soap making too.
Q5: Where do you see Jewellery by Bina being in 5 years?
Interesting question...hmmm...I'd like to incorporate more styles, develop new ranges, hopefully have stock in some stores...I love selling online and hope to continue.
I want to say a big thankyou to Bina for agreeing to answer my questions and for giving such fantastic answers. If you want to purchase any of Bina's jewellery head over to her Folksy store at www.folksy.com/shops/jewellerybybina or her Etsy store at www.etsy.com/shop/binageyer
Thankyou so much for reading :)
X

1 comment:

  1. Since posting this interview, it would seem Bina's jewellery is no longer available to buy through either Folksy or Etsy. I wish her well in all her future ventures x

    ReplyDelete